[LCA2015-Chat] [Chat] Flying with soldering irons

David Go davidgo at ipayroll.co.nz
Wed Dec 24 04:12:21 EST 2014

I see lots of mention of Jaycar flying around, but for those cheapskates among us, Surplustronics on Upper Queen Street is both closer and cheaper - and despite the name they carry mainly new stuff now.    Although I imagine they don't have quite the range of stuff that Jaycar carry, for soldering irons and cables they are probably a better choice - which is not to say this kind of gear is cheap in NZ.

(I've no particular affiliation to them, save that they are convenient to where I work, which is close to Uni)

Cheers,
David

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 14:49:11 +1100, Steve Walsh wrote
> Switching this across to the LCA2015chat list, because I'm sure it's probably more worthwhile for thepeople attending LCA2015 to follow, instead of the people who wentto LCA2014.
>
> regards
>
> On 12/23/2014 01:33 PM, Tim Ansell wrote:
>
> If I remember correctly, I've seen a personssoldering iron been confiscated at security (I believe it was aprevious LCA?). Knitting needles are frequently confiscatedwhich would fall into a similar "pointy (but not really)" objectcategory. I wouldn't be taking one as carry on because all ittakes is a grumpy security agent to end up losing it, no matterwhat the actual rules are.
>
> Tim 'mithro' Ansell
>
> On 23 December 2014 at 11:29, SteveWalsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au>wrote:Jaycaris also in NZ, so worst case you can pick new tips up whenyou arrive.
>
> If you get into NZ 30 minutes before the miniconf, thenfind someone you know who is getting there early and askthem nicely to pick you up a set.
>
> On 12/23/2014 11:56 AM, Hugh Blemings wrote:
> On 23/12/2014 11:48, Joshua Mesilane wrote:
> And what about that "pointy tip"?
>
> Ya, I'd wondered about that too.
>
> If it allows it, removing the tip is probably areasonable step - less likely to be damaged andmakes it look less iffy on an x-ray.
>
> Cheers,
> Hugh

>--

Stephen Walsh: Today included that moment where someone said "Wait, you're
*that* Steve Walsh? You are way calmer than the company doco makes you
seem"
Gabriel Noronha: I always assumed there was a community service video in the
staff induction about
you...
Anthony Towns: [UTF-8?]‎"Have you recently found yourself set on fire? Perhaps
you're bleeding from unusual places? If so you may benefit from learning to
SWEAR -- Steve Walsh: Enrage, Apologise, Run
away."

David Go
Infrastructure Engineer
iPayroll Ltd

Phone  +64 9 377 1517 ext 710
Mobile +64 21 889 809
Fax    +64 9 377 1529

Main Phone +64 9 377 1517   Fax +64 9 377 1529   Website  www.ipayroll.co.nz
Address  iPayroll Ltd, Level 6, 38 Whitaker Place, Grafton, Auckland, NZ