[LCA2015-Chat] LCA 2015 and twitter

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Dec 16 20:34:40 EST 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Russell Coker wrote:
> Perhaps it would be good to base the tag around city and country names.
> A search for #LCAAuckNZ gives zero results and it seems very unlikely to
> be used by someone else in the near future.

I think going for #LCAAuckNZ is just a continuation of the problem. Much
as "server-hugging" is now discouraged[1] I think we need to start
discouraging hashtag-hugging. I mean the very point of a a hash function
is to prevent collisions.

A quick Google indicates that sha256 is generally[2] considered secure so
I would therefore suggest that our official hashtag be:

$ echo "linux.conf.au 2015 in Auckland, New Zealand" | sha256sum
642a96183278655cb7c90e704a42180e68e059c9cda0e4a5dc9c5562a1b38962  -

I am happy to see that this hashtag is unique in both Google and twitter.
Now while some people might say that putting a 65 character hashtag on
the end of each tweet is excessive I think it is the best way to go
forward to avoid these problems.

I would therefore request we go with:

#642a96183278655cb7c90e704a42180e68e059c9cda0e4a5dc9c5562a1b38962

as the official hashtag for Linux.conf.au 2015.

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/AmazonWebServices/stop-worrying-about-prodweb001-and-start-loving-i98fb9856-arc201-aws-reinvent-2013

[2] Please speak now crypto people if this is not the case. Although I
would not that the lifetime of this tag will be only a few weeks so that
should reduce the level of security needed.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.simonlyall.com/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar