[LCA2015-Chat] [Chat] Flying with soldering irons

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Tue Dec 23 18:46:20 EST 2014

On 23/12/14 14:25, Mike Carden wrote:
> I have flown with all manner of tools but always in my checked luggage.
> They don't like you having stabby or snippy things in your carry-on.
>
> Remember also that spare batteries can be problematic along with things
> like gas powered soldering irons.

I put all my tools in checked luggage a couple days ago. no issues.
soldering iron and no end of pointy stuff. Batteries and six kilos of
random loose electronic components in carry on, didn't bat an eyelid.

There are specific and inconsistent rules about the amount of watt hours
of battery you can bring carry on, varies depending on carrier.

 From memory all luggage was x-rayed when I traveled to NZ last. no
issues with tools then.

regards,

Kim