[LCA2015-Chat] Moving to New Zealand

Lin Nah lin.nah at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 08:55:25 AEDT 2015

This is excellent news 8)

Since there's no specifics, I'll just reply generally. As I haven't met
you, it is very general. IF you email me privately with the info I'll try
to give more specifics.

There's a site by NZ Govt on living + working in NZ
https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/

1. IMHO when considering where to live temporarily and more permanently,
you should check out what public transport routes there are to your new
job. Even if you don't intend to use it, it gives you an alternative on
days your main transport option is not available.

If your job is in the CBD your options of places to stay are more than in
other areas where there's perhaps not so many options wrt public transport
to the area.

2. If by more permanent you mean somewhere to rent, and you're not
currently in NZ, you need to familiarise yourself with what you should and
shouldn't do as a renter in NZ. eg stuff like bond(must be lodged properly
etc) , notice period, tenancy agreement (what can or can't be in it. they
should use the standard agreement),  There's a piece of legislation called
Residential Tenancies Act and it summarised in a few places.

Pages to start:
* http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenancy-index and their publications at
http://www.dbh.govt.nz/pub-tenancy-generalinfo
(dbh = Dept of Building + Housing)
There's a standard agreement listed there.
* Market Rent http://www.dbh.govt.nz/market-rent
* Renting 101 - an article recently in r/newzealand : http://redd.it/2u240q
* Trademe is a NZ auction site, like US's ebay and is the most popular.
They have a section for property to rent
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-to-rent/auckland or
ppl looking for flatmates http://www.trademe.co.nz/flatmates-wanted/auckland
.

3.  Pets?
If you're bringing a pet or intend to have a pet, you should search with
this in mind. I'll have to warn you that it is hard to search for pets
allowed rentals.
Obviously if you're bringing your pet, you should also check out the health
+ quarantine requirements by officials protecting NZ's biosecurity, Good
pages to start:
* https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/live-animals/pets/
* http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets/cats-and-dogs

4. Another consideration is availability and proximity to facilities you
require or would like to have access to regularly. For example I consider
having access to internet quite important. There's certain areas (not many
but they exist) where availability of ADSL is limited. It might be an area
where ADSL is available but there's no spare ports in the exchange (and for
some areas it could be months before a spare port is available). So add to
to your things to check about a property if this is important to you.
If you wish access to UFB (Fast fibre connection) there's even fewer areas
where it is available AND even if it goes pass your gate, it may not be
turned on at the permises you are renting.

Are you coming alone or bringing partner and/or kid(s) with you?  For kids,
access to a reasonably good school would need to be added to your
requirements for choice of area.

I'll send this first and add to it later if i think of other things.

regards + good luck

lin