[LCA2015-Chat] Important: NZ Biosecurity + prohibited items

Ewen McNeill lca at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Tue Jan 6 11:06:46 EST 2015

On 6/01/15 12:48, Mark Jessop wrote:
> On a related note, does anybody know how NZ customs might react to a bag
> full of electronics kits?

I'm guessing these are kits that will not be leaving the country again
with you?  In which case it's potentially going to be treated as
importing commercial goods, eg:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/incommercial/accompanyimports/Pages/default.aspx

If _you_ are taking them out again with you, then it'd probably be
treated as either "personal allowance" or a temporary import:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate/sendingitemstonz/temporaryimports/Pages/default.aspx

which gets into the exciting world of ATA Carnets.  (I don't have any
experience of how closely NZ checks Carnets, but I have read online of
other countries declaring the whole Carnet invalid if there is any
mismatch at all from documentation to items either on the way in or out
-- one assumes those countries were looking for any excuse to collect
extra tax.)

FWIW, bags are always scanned on the way into New Zealand.  I think
they're mostly looking for biosecurity risks (eg, unlike departure
points I've never been asked to pull electronics out to be scanned
separately).  But AFAIK it's an xray system that would see the same
things as other xray systems, so I assume they can see "there be
electronics".

Ewen