[LCA2015-Chat] OpenRadio Miniconf Requirements, Program and Lightning talks

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Jan 8 03:49:04 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 08:01:48PM +1030, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Please make sure you have a sound card input, preferably a stereo input.
> Most modern laptops do not have a separate audio input port. If you

Argh, that would have been better to know before I signed up and bought
the kit. Doesn't it include a USB audio input that my laptop will see
like I thought it would?
(analog audio inputs are kind of getting are nowadays. My last laptop
that had one was 2 laptops ago. I think it also had PCMCIA card support)

I have a Thinkpad T540p with a single audio jack. I _think_ it's a 4 ring
jack where if I plug in my cell phone headset it picks up the microphone
from my headset instead of the microphone from my laptop. I just tried
whistling into my cell phone headset and I can see sound input, but this
only works when my laptop detects a 4 ring jack plugged in (it switches
modes internally)/

I just plugged in a line in cable into it and my cell phone audio out on
the other side, and couldn't see anything from my cell phone in
pavucontrol when I selected the microphone input that was working for my
4 ring headset.

Telling me to get a sound card isn't very helpful at this point, I'm in
a plane from Paris to SFO and then Auckland (don't ask).
How SOL am I? Will I be unable to use the kit and do any of the
experiments/tests during the whole day?
Is there an easy way to get a 4 ring to 3 ring adapter that will support
audio input at the conference? Or can you bring some?
(making or ordering one with that little notice will be a bit hard)

Thanks,
Marc
--
Microsoft is to operating systems ....