[LCA2015-Chat] TRRS microphone adapter (was OpenRadio Miniconf Requirements, Program and Lightning talks)

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Fri Jan 9 01:53:55 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 10:33:17PM +1300, Ewen McNeill wrote:
> On 8/01/15 14:56, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >Thanks, although the thing I really need is this
> >http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ
>
> I see someone else has offered to lend you something similar, but in
> case it helps anyone...
>
> From some hunting around the 4-part 3.5mm plug is called a TRRS plug:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29#TRRS_standards
>
> (TRRS == Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve), and there a couple of pinouts
> (basically whether the sleeve or second ring is the microphone).
> The one Apple picked (microphone on the sleeve) seems to be more
> common in recent equipment.

Cool, that's very helpful info, thank you.
I'm kind of sadenned to see they managed to make 2 standards anyway, but
glad to see one is dying.

> Armed with that name, searching for adapters in New Zealand turns up:
>
> http://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Rubber-Monkey/PC-Headset-to-Smart-phone-Adapter
> http://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Rubber-Monkey/PC-Headset-to-Smart-phone-Adapter-iPhone

Thanks. I'll probably buy one for myself at home later, but others have
already warned me this won't be good enough here since it's indeed mono
input.

Thanks for the mail.
Marc
--