[LCA2015-Chat] For Attendees with Special dietary requirements

Amanda Jackson amanda.jackson at lca2015.linux.org.au
Tue Jan 13 05:25:19 EST 2015

Hi All,

The caterers have a full list of all the requirements submitted. They are
erring on the side of caution.  As an example my meal, is dairy free as I'm
very allergic to milk (not just intolerant - I get the whole throat
swelling, eyes like garfield thing). So far my meals have matched the low
carb, gluten free, paleo meals - so basically I get chicken on a stick
which is quite nice and light.

The caterers are creating food that is tasty to cover a variety of
requests.  People with multiple avoidances - i.e. carbs, meat, dairy,
fruit, vegetables - they are labeling with your name and just adding the
first thing on your list - but they are covering all the items specified in
your wish list.

The poor waiting staff have no idea - they are just doing their job and
have over 600 people in the room.  The people who know what's in the food
are in the kitchen.

People with major allergies are separately covered - we and the caterers
are being extra careful with a smaller group of people who have nut,
shellfish, fungii and a couple of other nasties. These meals are prepared
separately and carefully, but again, they aren't going to list every single
thing on the label, there isn't room for some of them, they will just put
your name and the main item.  All events are aware of these special cases
and treating them the same way with separate preparation and extra care.

Some of the food requests on the site were a little on the frivolous side -
i.e. Food requirement - beersies, bacon. Special requirements - more
beersies, more bacon. And so on... yeah, we may have ignored those ones.
;-)  However, rest assured, there will be beer available at the events. Not
sure about the bacon though.

The other issue we have is people changing their requests during the
conference. We can do our best for these and change from tomorrow onwards
with the caterers at the uni, however, we can't change the event catering
as this has been locked in now for a few weeks.

Please - if you get any problems come to see me straight away. I have
antihistamines, pain killers for headaches, cream for hives.  I don't have
an epipen though.  I have my major first aid kit in the NOC room.

Cheers,
Amanda

--
Toodle pip