[LCA2015-Chat] Motat revisited

Ewen McNeill lca at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Wed Jan 14 20:48:31 EST 2015

On 14/01/15 22:31, Joshua Mesilane wrote:
> I'm probably going to rent a car and head back to MOTAT on Saturday morning,

I'd highly recommend a return visit to MOTAT -- there's lots to explore,
including the second site.  For instance there's a whole
telephone/exchange exhibit which was closed tonight (or at least was
when I tried to go in).  And an early mechanical computer (doing
integration IIRC).

In case it helps, because MOTAT is pretty close to the city, there are a
whole bunch of buses that go from the CBD past MOTAT (on their way out
to various places) -- the AT Journey Planner
(https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry) finds suitable buses basically
every 5-10 minutes from sensible morning onwards on Saturday.  (Plus it
knows about MOTAT as a place to search for.)  AFAICT the bus gets within
about 100m of one of the MOTAT entrances.

So if you're renting a car for other reasons, carry on.  But if you're
just renting the car to get to/from MOTAT, keep in mind that it is a
location that public transport should be pretty workable.

Ewen

PS: There are a few car rental places on Beach Road, just slightly
towards the CBD from Carlaw Park, which may minimise the
get-to-rental-place travel.  Of the ones I passed there, I've used Apex
before and would again (the others I passed I haven't used).