[LCA2015-Chat] un-ripping a DVD

Ryan Verner ryan.verner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:54:04 AEDT 2015

The latter can probably be done using caca/aalib :)

I'm curious why you'd want to produce a "plain-old" DVD as your 'lowest
common denominator solution' in 2015.  Pretty much every media player used
on the planet these days will play h.264 mpeg4 encoded video files burnt to
a DVD, and having tried to produce a 'plain old' DVD of content back in
2004 you're talking dozens and dozens of DVD's with the content produced at
an LCA.

The WebM files uploaded to the mirror are of archival quality; re-encoding
it should still result in good looking video.  You should be able to script
up something that uses ffmpeg to transcode to mpeg4 (use h264 for video,
mp3 or aac for audio).  Burn those files to a DVD (will still require
multiple DVD's).