[LCA2015-Chat] Sunday registration - times?

Ewen McNeill lca at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Sat Jan 3 10:22:41 EST 2015

On 3/01/15 4:16, Lin Nah wrote:
> If you're staying at one of the uni accommodation halls, the rego times
> are on http://lca2015.linux.org.au/wiki/Campus_accommodation
> If you're arriving outside those hours, add your name to the list [...]

For those staying in Carlaw Park and arriving over the weekend, note
that the listed weekend reception hours are 11am-1pm (ie, basically
enough to check out "lateish" but not much else).

So in theory pretty much everyone staying in Carlaw Park is going to
need to add their name to the list... and presumably plan on calling the
(listed on that page) after hours number.

Possibly at least Sunday afternoon it might be easiest to assume that
people will be arriving reasonably steadily between 1pm and say 6pm,
with some others later on?  (The page already has arrival times from 3pm
onwards listed.)

> Also the rego will be open the next morning if it is closed on Sunday.

FWIW, having "registered on the first day" (rather than the day
before/Sunday) for a few conferences recently, the process is generally
pretty quick these days because (a) the bugs in the registration process
have been ironed out the day before, and (b) a substantial portion of
people have already registered so the queues are shorter.  IIRC when I
registered on Monday morning for LCA2014 there were 1-2 people in the
queue in front of me, and the whole process took less than 5 minutes.

Probably best not to leave it until the last minute.  But if you
register at say 8:15 or 8:30 in the morning you'll probably still make
the queue for the keynote with time to catch up with people in the queue
before they open the doors.

Ewen