[LCA2015-Chat] Keybase.io invites

Fraser Tweedale frase at frase.id.au
Wed Jan 14 21:09:08 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 07:33:44PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2015 14:12, "Michael Wheeler" <lca at mwheeler.org> wrote:
> >
> > As discussed in the keysigning party - I still have a plenty of invites
> left (around 40), so let me know if you want an invite via email.
>
> What is keybase.io? Do you have to trust it? Can you trust it?

I view it as, and use it as:

a) a directory of cryptographically strong assertions binding social
   network accounts to OpenPGP keys, and

b) a convenient tool for generating such assertions

The assertions themselves are not stored in keybase.io and are
verifiable and meaningful on their own.

Some people I spoke to expressed concern about keybase posessing or
asking for one's private key.  I either did not encounter or
summarily ignored and subsequently forgot about any such aspect.
Perhaps others could comment further.

Cheers,
Fraser