[LCA2015-Chat] SimpleBots on the conference WiFi

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Wed Jan 14 22:32:20 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 01:27:11AM -0800, Stephen Donnelly wrote:
> Looks like mdns (avahi) is filtered on the LCA2015 network, how can we tell
> what IP it gets in order to ssh in?
>
> I may be missing something obvious...

Oh no! I admit I actually had the same symptom but thought it was my
firewall/nsswitch config, because it didn't work for me on the private
AP either. (I'd disabled mdns resolution at some point a while ago.)

When I was testing this the Pi was also connected via ethernet to my
laptop, sowhen avahi didn't work I just looked there for the WiFi
IP.  Then I rebooted without the ethernet cable and verified it all
still worked (which it did, as the DHCP server continued the same
lease).  Not the best testing metholodogy I guess. :(

My network-fu is at its limits... does anyone have any good ideas? :/

(The best I can think of, given the IP is likely to change as you move
around campus, is a script that updates a dynamic DNS entry somehow
using the assigned private IP. Not exactly a great solution though.)

Anyone? :(

Angus