[LCA2015-Chat] Astronomy BoF Thursday night

Jessica Smith jessica at itgrrl.com
Thu Jan 15 09:01:18 EST 2015

Hi David,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:46 PM, David Go <davidgo at ipayroll.co.nz> wrote:

I've managed to secure the use of my wifes 7 seater (a bit of a squeeze I
> suspect - its a Toyota Wish) car, and find a place to park it in town.  I'm
> keen to tag along to the Astronomy BoF and I'd be delighted to take people
> with me.
>
> (The catch is coming back - I am unsure at this stage, but I may need to
> bail
> after the Telescope viewing but before the film - not sure yet.  Of-course,
> I'm happy to drop people off anywhere in town or on the North Shore on my
> way
> back.
>
> Also has anyone called up the Stardome and booked anything ?  I know they
> have
> limited seating - not sure how busy it will be on a Thursday night.

Thanks for the offer of transport, you rock!

Just to clarify, the planetarium show is first, with telescope viewing
afterwards. The whole thing runs for about 1.5hrs, but they will stay open
longer if lots of people are still keen. I expect that the planetarium show
runs for about 45 - 60mins. If you're leaving directly after the show,
people who want to leave early could join you, with others returning home
via bus as planned.

I called Stardome this morning and checked capacity, and made a booking for
15 people. At the moment we have 17 people down on the wiki list, but I
expect at least a few will bail for various reasons (and that's totally OK,
of course). I haven't paid any money, and they seem OK with us turning up
with less than 15 people and not charging us for the extra seats.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me, my mobile is 021-889-809 or email
> me
> (sending a txt is probably best though) - I'd particularly appreciate a
> call
> from anyone who my be organizing this, otherwise I'm happy to give a lift
> there to the first 6 people to respond.

Consider yourself contacted.   :-)   But I'll text you shortly as well to
make sure you see this. Perhaps you could bring your car around to the
front of the OGGB before 6:30pm tonight and we can allocate seats on a
greatest need/first come basis. I think it's sensible to prioritise anyone
with mobility needs first. One you're full, the rest of us will bus it. We
do need to set off walking at 6:30pm, so if you're not there you'll be
travelling solo.   :-)

If people who put their name on the wiki but are now not planning to come
along could update the wiki and remove themselves, that would be great. If
we end up significantly less planning to come along, I'd like to be able to
give Stardome a heads-up as a courtesy.

Cheers,

Jessica