[LCA2015-Chat] #IStandWithLinus

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jan 19 14:13:03 AEDT 2015

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Kye Russell <me at kye.id.au> wrote:
> Not everybody agrees with you, I hate to break it to you. You aren't going
> to get the echo chamber that you're looking for.

I know that not everyone agrees with me.

> The people that I talked to after Linus's Q&A (both random attendees and
> prominent figures) were under the impression that his comments were
> misconstrued and misunderstood by s vocal minority.

But now we have a vocal minority trying to make defending Linus into part of
GamerGate.

If prominent figures could publicly agree that GamerGate is a bad thing and
not related to LCA then things might get a bit saner.

> My point is that you're going to start a flame war in this thread. Nobody
> wants that, so we should just quit it now and leave it at Twitter where it
> belongs.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/linus-torvalds-does-not-give-a-shit-about-
you-1680004895
http://backtalk.kinja.com/rip-valleywag-again-1680059763

I don't think there's ever an option to leave something in Twitter.  Twitter
is very important in news nowadays, Twitter discussions even become news.
Above are 2 of the articles about this, one of which has the Linus giving the
bird image from the video you Tweeted.

If we can agree that the attacks on women are a bad thing and that Linus isn't
supporting such attacks then I don't think that there is much to debate about.
All that's left is the issue of what tone of message to be used on the LKML
which isn't an issue that is likely to attract much heated debate here.