[LCA2015-Chat] Video processing update

Ryan Verner ryan.verner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:20:26 AEDT 2015

Hi all,

All videos are online (including Conference Close and one miniconf video
today).  Youtube and the LA mirror appear to be 1:1, but we're having
issues w/ rsync to the slingshot mirror.  That should be resolved soon.

I've also uploaded 3x experimental HD (720p) videos of the keynotes to
Youtube and the mirrors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAKRdZLU7AU (Eben)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw4ihJr82PA (Linus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLYQDW_Cids (What the Foo)

http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2015/HD_720p/
http://ftp.slingshot.co.nz/pub/linux.conf.au/2015/HD_720p/ (soon)

I say experimental because we focussed primarily on the standard definition
AV loops, but we had a couple of HD systems setup in the keynote venue to
test what we can do for future LCA events.  Unfortunately Bob Young's
keynote had an audio issue with the HD capture hence why it is not included
above (but the SD system captured it and the video is on YT/the mirror).

If anybody here would love to see HD video for future LCA's (and other
events) we'd love help on a number of open-source hardware and software
projects:

http://code.timvideos.us/

This has been mentioned elsewhere but I'll mention it again; a small
percentage of the videos have issues with audio occasionally dropping out.
It sounds like digital degradation so may mislead into thinking it's an
audio encoding problem.  This is unfortunately because we were using the
digital audio system of the university, and some of their recievers/mics
were either faulty or experiencing interference issues.  The AV team
actively worked on all conference days on resolving these issues, but
there's unfortunately not a lot we can do about it in post-production.
Please do report any videos with issues though (as some of you have been
doing) and I'll keep working on improving what I can.

A huge thankyou to the rest of the LCA2015 AV team as well; you guys were
all fantastic.

Thanks,

Ryan Verner
Next Day Video