[LCA2015-Chat] Wifi and meetings

Mark Foster mark.foster at lca2015.linux.org.au
Fri Jan 9 09:39:27 EST 2015

On 9/01/2015 11:30 a.m., Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> Hey Mark
>
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 10:04:40AM +1300, Mark Foster wrote:
>> We are putting together some more structured comms - but the latest news
>> is that the Conference Wifi is now active and available across the entire
>> campus, not just the Business School.
>>
>> The accommodation has free wired internet available.
> I'm be staying at Uni Halls, where the previous advice was that the wired
> network in the rooms would not be available to conference delegates.  Does
> the above advice supercede this?  The original information on the
> accomodation page said tha Uni Hall would have wifi only in the common
> areas; again, does the above indicate that this is no longer the case?
>
> To avoid confusion and to ensure I pack and plan appropriately, what is the
> intended network situation at Uni Halls for delegates?

Greetings,

The initial advice I had regarding this conflicts a little with that
which i've received in the last couple of days.

We will communicate in greater detail in the next day or so, however my
understanding /at this point/ is that our Conference Wifi will be
available at any of the City Campus locations as shown on the map on
this page:

http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/services/it-essentials/internet-and-wireless/wireless-access#coverage

The University Halls appear on the above map as 'Elam Halls' and are not
shown to have Wifi.
So at the Uni Halls you will be able to use Wired networking. The advise
we have received as of late yesterday is:

"The residential wired network access doesn’t require any credential
during university holiday period. User can just connect the ethernet
port in the room and go. This network access is available to all the
accommodations provided by our university."

It's been many months since I last personally visited the Uni Halls so I
don't know exactly where the ethernet ports concerned are - I /think/
there's a port in each room.

There will be some official comms to registered delegates and speakers
about the Internet connectivity options generated in the next 24 hours
or so.

Mark.